Transition to secondary school
We offer an equitable transition package across all our schools so that all of our children and families make a positive transition from primary to secondary school.
Secondary Transition Guarantee
- TSAT staff collaborate to ensure a progressive curriculum between Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3 so that it is ambitious for all.
- Children will be provided with new exercise books to complete their transitional learning in the summer. This will move through with the children onto their TSAT secondary school.
- Transition days will focus around a core text that children will explore in their Year 6 classroom.
Pupil Welfare and Wellbeing
- From Year 5 onwards, children will be offered 2 subject experiences in a TSAT secondary school.
- Year 6 children will experience a minimum of 3 days of whole school transition.
- Additional sessions may be offered to individual or small groups of children.
- Summer schools will be open to all Year 6 to Year 7 children. This is a minimum of 3 days.
- Year 6 children will experience Year 7 routines during summer term to support independence and be secondary ready. This may include children bringing their own equipment and being responsible for their own resources.
- Secondary key staff will be invited to attend the final SEND reviews for Year 6 pupils during the summer term.
- All academic and pastoral information will be passed between primary and secondary members in a timely manner.
- There will be a standard information document across the trust to share information.
- End of Year 6 reports will be shared with the feeder TSAT secondary schools.
- All TSAT secondary schools will offer open evenings during the autumn term.
- All TSAT primary schools will offer support to complete secondary placement applications, if requested.
- Following allocation from the Local Authority, the TSAT secondary schools will send a follow up welcome letter outlining the transition arrangements and key dates.
- Parents evening events will be undertaken during transition. Primary representatives from the TSAT schools aim to attend these meetings to support.
Support for staff
- All TSAT schools will provide the time for the appropriate staff to complete transition activities successfully.